With Thanksgiving around the corner it's hard not to think about what I am thankful for. Mine are mostly the cliche things like family and amazing friends that I have met since moving to AZ. Or of course my kids and husband. But when I really, really start to think about things I get emotional (dang pregnancy). Being a member of the LDS church has been so wonderful for me. I said it. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed but I never talk about this stuff. I grew up without religion but with a God and that's all I knew. Being a Mormon works for me and I love it. People can judge and old friends can say what they want but I don't know what would have happened to me or my life without it.
Like being part of a church that has welcomed me with open arms and has had no judgement on my past life is amazing. Growing up in Utah used to be a tough thing if you weren't LDS. I wasn't invited to a lot events from friends at school, I wasn't asked to stay for dinner and nobody was allowed at my house. You could say I had a few resentments towards the church for many years. My parents especially didn't agree with how I was being treated so they also disliked Mormons. I am not sure what changed as I got older but I started meeting Mormons who weren't all judgy. They cared about me and were really good friends when I needed them. When we started going to church before I actually became a member, so many people wanted to know me for me. They weren't just trying to get me into their "cult". I remember praying for the first time and crying afterwards. I knew this was for me and I was so lucky to have in-laws who were on my side. My husband was able to baptize me after he, himself wasn't part of the church for quite some time. They didn't care. He was worthy and so was I. It was exciting and brought us so much closer together. We were later sealed in the Temple with only our family there and it was so special. I'm glad I had my wedding but this was just so intimate. When they brought Autumn in to be sealed to Tyler and I as a family, most of started to tear up, she looked beautiful. She stuck her hand on ours and it was like she knew exactly what to do at 8 months old. Magical is the only word I can think of but that sounds way lame. But ok, it was so MAGICAL. We have gone through so much in the last few years and again, I am so thankful. It's been a growing experience and I'm so glad that my husband and I are able to grow together and not separate.
When we moved in July I didn't know what to expect. I was nervous and on our very first Sunday in our new ward, I broke down and I cried after church. I didn't feel welcomed, I didn't like anyone and I just wanted to be back and safe in our previous ward. Tyler looked at me and was just as frustrated but without being angry he said that we were going to get through this and that it was all part of the plan. As long as we remained strong and kept on going we would be blessed. Well, he was right. We have met so many people who coincidentally felt the same way we did that very first Sunday. Now, we have callings, we have teaching assignments and have even been nice enough to sub in nursery. Funny how that works....
I am so thankful for my kids. I hate using the word "STEP" kids. I love that I get 4 kids and only had to be pregnant twice! ;) Marley and Miles and Autumn get along so well and for that I am grateful. M and M are so sweet to their little sister... Even when she bugs.
I couldn't ask for a better husband. Not that I had asked before but if I did... He couldn't be better then what I have now. Things can be tough but having a husband like Ty just makes things so much better. I love that I get to stay at home thanks to him working hard. I love his smile and sense of humor. I love his dedication to all 3 kids. He's an amazing story teller. He's just an amazing guy with a really full heart who has worked extremely hard to be where he is. I'm so proud of him.
5 comments:
LOVE this post, and happy that you're so happy! ( I couldn't help but tearing up reading this!) Hope you are feeling well, we can't wait to see if you guys are going to welcome a new baby girl or boy!!!!
I love this post too. Gratitude is uplifting and contagious!
Great post, great family
Kelly this post touched my heart! You and Ty are inspiring - I love the joy in your words... xoxo
Thanks for your amazing post! You made me cry!
Post a Comment